Goodstart Endeavour Hills – Barnsley Drive shares with us their favourite damper recipe - one you can cook at home!
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 180ml milk – if the mixture is too dry, add a little more milk
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, chilled extra flour as needed
For oven cooking
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together into a bowl
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips
- Add milk slowly and mix to form a soft dough
- Lightly dust chopping board with flour. Knead softly until smooth
- Shape the dough into a round loaf, brush with milk and cut a cross in the top surface of the dough.
For campfire cooking
- Grease and dust with flour a round cake tin or a flat baking pan.
- Place dough in the pan and bake in a preheated oven at 190° C (375° F) for30– 40 minutes.
- Grease the camp oven (Dutch oven) and dust with flour. Add bread dough and cover.
- Place in your campfire, cover with hot ashes and coals and bake for about 30 minutes.
Add ½ cup of cheese or ½ cup of sultanas when mixing ingredients together
NAIDOC 2017 Activity Pack www.datsip.qld.au/naidoc