At Goodstart we believe that we have an important role in contributing to the learning of our future teachers. We know that educators with higher qualifications have been shown to have a direct impact on children’s developmental outcomes (Torii, Fox & Cloney, 2017). Therefore, we have developed a program that provides opportunities for preservice teachers to be placed in centres with enabling conditions to support their learning and development.
The Preservice Teacher Placement Program at Goodstart is coordinated through the Teacher Program Manager in each state. Teacher Program Managers liaise with key stakeholders to ensure:
- Centre Directors have elected that their centre is available to support preservice teachers on placement and that the placement will fit within the working rhythms of the centre.
- The Supervising Teacher holds full/proficient teacher registration/accreditation, in states where this is a requirement. In other States/Territories criteria have been established to align with registration requirements.
- In nursery and toddler rooms where there may not be a teacher, we have established processes for ensuring there is a Supervising Teacher on site to liaise with the Senior Educator and be responsible for the preservice teacher on placement.
In order to be eligible for a preservice teacher placement in a Goodstart centre, you are required to provide evidence of:
- Working with Children Check (state/territory determined),
- completion of the Australian Government Department of Health COVID-19 Infection Control Training,
- records of immunisation and vaccination.
Torii, K., Fox, S., & Cloney, D. (2017) Quality is key in early childhood education in Australia. Mitchell Institute Policy Paper No. 01/2017. Mitchell Institute, Melbourne. Retrieved from https://www.vu.edu.au/mitchell-institute
Find out more
To find out more about the Preservice Teacher Placement Program, please contact the Teacher Program Manager in the State/Territory you are considering completing your placement.
National Teacher Professional Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teacher Professional Program NSW/ACT: email@example.com
Teacher Professional Program QLD: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teacher Professional Program SA/NT: email@example.com
Teacher Professional Program VIC/TAS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teacher Professional Program WA: email@example.com