In the future, your children may be telling their great-grandchildren about what it was like to live through the challenges of 2021. What better way to reflect on the past year than to make a family time capsule that you can open in ten or twenty years’ time!
What you will need:
- A medium-sized box or container, such as a shoebox
- Textas, pens, paint, stickers, or whatever you have on hand to decorate your time capsule – see our 2021 Memories Image Sheet
- Objects to include (see below)
- Printed photos of your child from 2021
- Printed screenshots of online calls with family members and friends
- Information about each family member - How old are they? How tall? What are their favourite toys, foods, books, games and TV shows from the year? What is an important memory of 2021?
- Your child’s handprints or footprints
- A drawing by your child of things that happened in 2021
- Newspaper articles about lockdowns or Covid-19 cases
- Items the children may not remember but you will — a roll of toilet paper, a small bottle of hand sanitiser, a disposable mask, the words to your favourite “wash your hands” song
- A note from you with your reflections from the year. What’s harder than before? Easier? What are you looking forward to doing together when the pandemic is over?
As well as being a great craft to keep kids busy, creating a 2021 time capsule will be a great way for them to remember this historic time in years to come.
Download 2021 Memories Image Sheet
At Goodstart we’re not for profit, so we can do more for children.