We're for children, not profit
We understand the power of early learning – it’s why Goodstart makes every moment count for the children attending our centres. We advocate for greater access and participation, and we make it our business to be the best at getting better.
We're proud of our remarkable progress over the past 11 years, investing in Australia's future, our children.
For 11 years Goodstart, as a not-for-profit social enterprise, has been creating positive social change by giving Australia’s children, especially our most vulnerable, the best possible start in life
through access to high quality early learning.
Goodstart was founded by a partnership of four of Australia’s leading charities who recognised a child’s early years experiences had a huge influence on the rest of their lives — The Benevolent Society, The Brotherhood of St Laurence, Mission Australia, and Social Ventures Australia.
Today, Goodstart is Australia’s largest provider of early learning and care and Australia’s largest non-government provider of preschool and kindergarten programs. We employ 15,639 employees including 1,500 teachers and provide high quality early learning to more than 67,670 children from 56,800 families across 664 early learning centres. Around one third of our centres are in rural and regional areas and around one quarter are in low socio-economic areas.
- $54.5 million invested in social inclusion to support some of Australia's most vulnerable children.
- $120.3 million invested in training and professional development of our people.
- $43.6 million invested in practice uplift and research.
- $245.6 million invested in upgrading our indoor and outdoor learning environments.
What we stand for
Our vision is for Australia’s children to have the best possible start in life and our purpose is to ensure children have the learning, development and wellbeing outcomes they need for school and life.
Our Goodstarters are what set us apart - they are guided by our principles and inspired to set new benchmarks for a child's learning and development in the years that count most - the first five years.
Our guiding principles
- Children are central to everything we do.
- Our people make the difference.
- Families are our primary partner.
- Being a valued member of each unique community.
We're for all children
Goodstart believes all of Australia’s children should have access to affordable, quality early learning and care.
Safety, health and wellbeing
Safety underpins everything we do at Goodstart. Safety starts with each of us - but at Goodstart it is more than that. Being safe is who we are and what we do. It's part of being a Goodstarter.
We're for reconciliation
Reconciliation is woven through everything we do — guided by our ambition for a socially just and equitable Australia that is free of racism. We recognise our enormous opportunity every day, to shape the next generation of Australia’s children to recognise and respect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and heritage as a proud part of a shared identity.
Learn more about our deepening commitment to reconciliation in our second, expanded Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), and first Stretch RAP 2020 – 2023
. Goodstart’s Stretch RAP complements centre-based RAPs. From Yidinji, Gooreng Gooreng, Yuggera, Gadigal to Wurundjeri and Palawa Country on the east coast of Australia, across to Kaurna Country and Wadjuk Noongar in the west, up to Larrakia in the Northern Territory and across all nations of Australia, our centres take affirmative action for local reconciliation impact. More than 657 Goodstart centres are on their journey utilising the Narragunnawali platform, with 289 RAPs published.
Our Strategic Goals (2021 - 2025) represent the next phase in our journey to further deliver on our purpose and be the most rewarding and inclusive place to work.
- Exceptional Quality: Our practice will be world class; we will deliver 'best practice' and discover 'next practice'.
- Inclusion for Everyone: We will be a place of opportunity where all children, families and Goodstarters feel safe to belong.
- Impact beyond Goodstart: We will create an unstoppable force for change in the early years ecosystem.
- Amazing Goodstarter Experience: We will be known as a place where our people learn, grow and have a real voice.
- Personalised Family Experience: We will value our families for who they are and what they bring.
- Thriving Organisation: We will be a financially thriving organisation that reinvests to improve children's outcomes in and beyond Goodstart.