Goodstart, as a not-for-profit social enterprise, has for 10 years been creating positive social change by giving Australia's children, especially our most vulnerable, the best possible start in life — access to high quality early learning.
Goodstart was created a decade ago by a partnership of four of Australia's leading charities who recognised a child's early years experiences as having a huge influence on the rest of their lives — The Benevolent Society, The Brotherhood of St Laurence, Mission Australia and Social Ventures Australia.
Today, Goodstart is Australia's largest provider of early learning and care and Australia's largest non-government provider of preschool and kindergarten programs. We employ 14,900 people, including 1,500+ teachers, and provide high quality early learning to more than 70,700 children from 59,200 families across 671 early learning centres. Around one third of our centres are in rural and regional areas and around one quarter are in low socio-economic areas.
is for Australia’s children to have the best possible start in life.
drives everything we do — to ensure children have the learning, development and wellbeing outcomes they need for school and life.
We're for purpose, not profit
Because we're a not-for-profit, we can do more for children. Any surplus we generate is reinvested into our Goodstart centres and programs to benefit children, families and their local communities. No dividends are paid to shareholders.
We're proud of our remarkable progress over the past 10 years, investing in Australia's future, our children.
- $45.9 million invested in social inclusion to enhance school and life outcomes for Australia's most vulnerable children.
- $104.7 million invested in training and professional development of our people.
- $37.2 million invested in early learning and research.
- $217.3 million invested in upgrading our indoor and outdoor learning environments.
Delivering on our purpose
Our strategic goals (2020 - 2025) steer our direction. We will be a Thriving Organisation by delivering Exceptional Quality, an Amazing Goodstarter Experience, and a Personalised Family Experience while being Inclusive of Everyone and having an Impact Beyond Goodstart. Safety and reconciliation are a part of everything we do at Goodstart.
- Exceptional Quality: Our practice will be world class; we will deliver 'best practice' and discover 'next practice'.
- Inclusion for Everyone: We will be a place of opportunity where all children, families and Goodstarters feel safe to belong.
- Impact beyond Goodstart: We will create an unstoppable force for change in the early years ecosystem.
- Amazing Goodstarter Experience: We will be known as a place to learn, grow and have a real voice.
- Personalised Family Experience: We will value our families for who they are and what they bring.
- Thriving Organisation: We will be a financially thriving organisation that reinvests to improve children's outcomes in and beyond Goodstart.
Our guiding principles
Our guiding principles underpin everything that we do, providing focus for the way in which we deliver social impact at scale and locally in each and every community we operate.
- Children are central to everything we do.
- Our people make the difference.
- Families are our primary partner.
- Being a valued member of the community.
We're for all children
Goodstart believes all of Australia’s children should have access to affordable, quality early learning and care.
Our ongoing investment in enhanced programs and service models aims to ensure that children facing disadvantage and developmental vulnerability have opportunities to maximise their learning, development and wellbeing so they start school on an equal footing with their more advantaged peers.
We are helping families across Australia to understand and embrace the importance of early learning. And as this progresses, we're simultaneously working to unite early learning professionals and policy makers on a national pathway to positive change. You can learn more about our advocacy work here.
Safety, health and wellbeing
Safety wraps around everything we do at Goodstart. "Safety starts with each of us - but at Goodstart it is more than that. Being safe is who we are and what we do. It's part of being a Goodstarter." These opening words of our safety committment are more than just words. They allow families to trust us with their children; governments to support us and the community to value our work.
We're for reconciliation
Goodstart recognises and respects Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Peoples of Australia and as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which our early childhood services are offered.
Our ambition for reconciliation is the achievement of a socially just and equitable Australia that is free of racism. Our vision for reconciliation is for Goodstarters to engage with reconciliation on both a personal and professional level, creating the conditions that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander social justice, equality and equity. Through this vision, we are laying the foundations to grow future generations that value and recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and heritage as a proud part of a shared identity.
Learn more about our deepening commitment to reconciliation in our second, expanded Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), and first Stretch RAP 2020 – 2023
. Goodstart’s Stretch RAP complements centre-based RAPs.