At Goodstart, we're for children
At Goodstart, children are central to everything we do.
In 2009, a consortium of leading community sector organisations – The Benevolent Society, Mission Australia, the Brotherhood of St Laurence and Social Ventures Australia – came together to initiate the formation of Goodstart.
Goodstart was founded on a vision of giving children the best possible start in life through access to quality early learning.
As a social enterprise, Goodstart is a not-for-profit organisation that operates with strong business disciplines. We reinvest operating surpluses in our network, our people and our purpose – for the benefit of every child and their early learning.
Every day, 13,400 Goodstart staff support over 58,000 families and the 69,600 children that attend our 645 childcare centres
is for Australia’s children to have the best possible start in life.
is to ensure children have the learning, development and wellbeing outcomes they need for school and life.
We’re driven by three guiding principles:
- Children are central to everything we do
- Families are our primary partner
- Being a valued part of each unique community
Goodstart has set six strategic goals
that drive our work:
- High Quality – Ensure all of our centres deliver high quality early learning and care in a safe environment.
- Inclusion – Enhance outcomes for children in vulnerable circumstances.
- Financial Sustainability – Generate a surplus to reinvest in our network, our people and our purpose.
- Great People – Build a capable, aligned and engaged workforce.
- Evidence – Embed evidence-informed practice and strengthen the Australia evidence base.
- Influence – Increase public commitment to quality early learning and care.
While we consistently work to give children the best possible start in life through access to quality learning at each of our centres nation-wide, we also advocate the benefits of investing in early learning to government policy makers, seeking to demonstrate the benefits through quality research and building relationships across the early childhood sector to improve collaboration.
To find out more about Goodstart, please check out our publications