Why work at Goodstart
If you’re looking to work for an organisation that has an inspiring purpose, offers a flexible and family-friendly work environment, and encourages your personal development, Goodstart Early Learning could be the place for you!
We’re a not-for-profit social enterprise, meaning we exist purely to improve the lives of Australia’s children and their families. And we’re in a great position to truly make a difference. As Australia’s largest early learning and care provider, our people nurture more than 67,670 children each year across more than 664 centres.
Creating life-changing experiences for children is what drives each one of us at Goodstart. Every day, our Teachers and Educators put their passion into practice, building deep connections with families and bonds with children that last a lifetime. Our team members are dedicated to high-quality early learning that will shape the next generation of learners. We recognise the important role our people play in the lives of children, so our commitment to you is to provide the support and opportunities you need to thrive in your career.
Why Work for Us?
VIEWSupporting you in making a difference
We believe every person should feel supported to be the best they can be. We’ve listened to what our people need, and we’ve worked with them to implement even more benefits and better conditions. Above-award wages, increased non-contact time, and flexible work arrangements are just some of the ways we recognise and support our people.
Goodstart is a pretty special organisation. We’re for children and not for profit. And by providing high-quality early learning in a safe and caring environment, our people give children the educational, developmental and wellbeing outcomes they need for school and beyond. It’s all part of our vision for Australia’s children to have the best possible start in life.
VIEWWorking conditions with you in mind
We recognise the incredible work you do and the difference you make in the lives of children every day. But we also know you value your time outside of the workplace, and that looks different for everyone.
Our flexible working conditions are designed to be exactly that: flexible, with no “one-size-fits-all” approach.
Just ask Tammy, a Teacher from WA: “Goodstart has always accommodated my family’s needs. When my children were little, I was able to work split shifts. And if I ever need a day off, it’s not an issue. I know Goodstart considers my health and wellbeing as important as the children’s."
Some of the ways we support our people to develop a healthy work-life balance include:
- Flexible shift options
- Part-time and casual roles
- Secondments to other centres and roles
- Breastfeeding-at-work policy to support new mums returning to work
- Two dedicated wellbeing days each year
- Opportunities to work from home
We also offer a generous and competitive remuneration schedule that recognises the work you put in to develop your expertise:
- Educators receive a wage that is 4% above the award wage, rising to 5% by 2023
- Teachers receive a wage similar to state primary schools across Australia
- Centre Directors receive a wage that is at least 10% above the award rate
VIEWProviding you security and support
We’re big, but we have a big heart, too. With more than 670 centres across Australia, we offer the security, reassurance and support of a large network - and with that comes job stability. Although we’re a large organisation, we recognise that everyone has individual goals and needs.
That’s why we’ve developed a range of benefits, including additional annual leave options, a wellbeing support service and generous childcare discounts - all on top of diverse career opportunities and excellent job security. We don’t just want you to stay at Goodstart - we want you to grow with Goodstart!
At Goodstart, we look after our people with:
- Above-award wages
- Paid parental leave
- Work-life balance and flexible working options
- Annual uniform allowance
- Generous childcare discounts up to 50%
- Two personal wellbeing days
- And much more
VIEWA safe and welcoming environment
At Goodstart, health, safety and wellbeing are more than just words – they’re who we are and what we do to support you. We provide you with programs and ongoing support, such as live interactive webinars with our national safety and wellbeing team and free 24/7 independent counselling services to ensure you feel safe in your environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our inclusive and diverse work environment. We want you to be comfortable being yourself, so we support individual growth and strong teams made up of many different cultures and backgrounds.
One of the most important ways we’re building a sense of belonging is through our centre-based Reconciliation Action Plans, which guide us at a local level to build connections and educate families, children and people on why reconciliation matters.
Every team member, family and child is welcome at Goodstart. Here are some of the ways we’re creating inclusive and welcoming environments:
To keep our people safe and well, we offer:
- Our ongoing commitment to our Goodstart Reconciliation Action Plan, embedding inclusive practices into our centres to support children and families to participate in quality early learning
- Specialist training and support for centre teams to help them welcome more families and provide the extra assistance they need
- Wellbeing program support
- Sector-leading safety policies and procedures
- Free 24/7 independent counselling
- Support from our dedicated national safety team
- Safety resources and rapid distribution of protective equipment
VIEWPersonal development and career opportunities
We understand that work and career mean different things to different people. Some people aim to manage their own centre, while others strive to be the best version of themselves. At Goodstart, we support you either way.
We offer professional development opportunities throughout the year, keeping you up to date with leading-edge early learning practices. We also provide training to help you put inclusive practices into place, so you can support more children from diverse backgrounds or with additional needs. And because we have over 670 centres across Australia, there are plenty of chances to advance your career to the next stage if you choose.
As an early learning professional, you’ll benefit from a national network of expertise led by our Head of Pedagogy and Practice. Our dedicated interactive online learning hub provides focused learning opportunities, empowering you to upskill and set new benchmarks in early learning practices.
We’re here to help you grow your career.
You will have access to:
You will be supported to develop your career with:
- Our Thrive program, which supports hundreds of educators to study towards their Bachelor degrees
- Certificate and Diploma qualifications in Early Childhood Education and Care through our partnerships with Registered Training Organisations
- Access to live webinars and on demand professional development through our interactive learning hub
- Our graduate Teacher program, offering mentorship, university partnerships, and registration and accreditations
- The support of our dedicated pedagogy and practice national support team
- Specialist training and support
- Professional innovation to refine traditional teaching methods
As a not-for-profit social enterprise, we put our purpose into action in very meaningful ways. The money we make is not given to shareholders. Instead, it’s reinvested back into the areas that make the biggest impact on children’s learning outcomes: our centres, our practice and programs, and our people.
Is for Australia’s children to have the best possible start in life.
Is to ensure children have the learning, development and wellbeing outcomes they need for school and life.
Being for children, not for profit, means:
View all our vacancies
- We make sure children in vulnerable circumstances have access to the learning, care and support they need
- We provide our staff with professional development and training to be at their best
- We invest in research and partner with some of the greatest minds in early learning to ensure our programs and practice are world leading
- We know environment matters - and each year, we invest in enhancing our indoor and outdoor learning spaces