Scrumptious banana and date loaf
Goodstart Glendale's scrumptious Banana and Date Loaf
Easy and delicious - toast it for brekky, take to school or keep in the freezer for unexpected visitors! This is a hit with the children at our centre!
- 1 cup chopped dried pitted dates (160g)
- 1 cup boiling water (250 ml)
- 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 ¾ cups self- raising flour (260g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180◦C. Line a 20 x 10cm loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, cover the dates with the boiling water and soak for 5 minutes.
- To the soaked dates and water, add the banana, oil, flour and baking soda and mix well to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes or until the bread bounces back when touched.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cook completely before slicing.
TIP: Best consumed within 3 days of baking, or freeze individual portions for school lunchboxes.