Centres embrace Australia: Story Country book week
Each year, throughout Australia, The Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) brings children and books together to celebrate Children’s Book Week (20-26 August).
This year’s theme was Australia: Story Country
to celebrate all Australian books, authors and illustrators.
Many Goodstart centres (including Goodstart Aspley, pictured above
) from throughout the country took part in Children’s Book Week to highlight the importance of reading and to enrich the learning experiences of children within our care.
During the week, children and educators dressed up as their favourite characters and shared their favourite books.
Here’s a snapshot of how our centres celebrated:
- Goodstart Miranda - Children dressed up as their favourite book characters (pictured above are Riley, Cooper and Harper)
- Goodstart Elizabeth Vale – Educators held a dress-up day where the children came as their favourite characters from books including Where is the Green Sheep?, Commotion in the Ocean, Tinkerbell, Inside Out and many more.
- Goodstart Forest Gardens – The children watched a “magical” reading egg hatch at a community event. The magical egg is part of an early years literacy program with Paint Cairns South REaD which encourages families to read, talk, sing and draw with their children. You can read more about the initiative here.
- Goodstart Seaford Rise – The kindergarten children went on an excursion to the local library where they spent time looking through the children’s section of the library, and listening to stories. In the centre, the children brought their favourite book to share with their friends.
- Goodstart Marrickville – Children worked on arts activities designing their own bookmarks and books. They held a book fair and parents read stories to the children.
- Goodstart Aspley - An Alice in Wonderland-themed party was on the cards at the centre.